P4Z-0hy22ZRyqh5IUeLwjcY3L_M

P4Z-0hy22ZRyqh5IUeLwjcY3L_M
MEAN STREETS MEDIA

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Iran ( Iranian Lesbian: We Are The Denied Identity )

Posted on: 7th March, 2014                         

             

Samira, an Iranian lesbian Samira, an Iranian lesbian
As a part of women’s community, the Iranian lesbian community faces problems twice more than other women in Iran. For 8 March, International Women’s Day, we have prepared an interview with an Iranian lesbian who is also active in LGBT rights.

*Please introduce yourself and give us a summary of your activities.
My name is Samira, an Iranian Lesbian. Because of lack of support by my family and other issues in the society, I was forced to leave Iran. I am a member of IRQO (Iranian Queer Organization), for now, I am active in LGBT issues and defending LGBT rights, doing researchers to finally improve the awareness of people with cooperation of my friends.
*Dear Samira, why you were forced to leave Iran? What were your problems in Iran? Was it the only solution to leave Iran?
As I mentioned, lack of support by family, problems in the society, by government and people, these are parts of issues that forced me to leave Iran. As you know, Iranian society is Masculism, and being a woman by itself, does not make you have enough civil rights, now imagine a woman who is a lesbian in this society. After many years of being aware of my orientation, I was forced to play a role, always I was forced to reject myself and wear a mask [of a woman who is not lesbian] in favor of my family and society. But it wasn’t me and my “real self” was oppressed. Regarding the last part of your question, I think abandoning and leaving is better than staying and sufferings in humiliation.
*Suppose the family as a small part of society, were you successful in educating your family about your desired issues? What was their reaction?
I tried in many ways, both directly and indirectly, by talking, showing documents, magazines and essays of homosexuals. But the reaction was always not to hear and pretending that this issue does not exist.
*Did you try to change the situation in favor of yourself in Iran? What was the reaction of street women to you?
Unfortunately no because of the fear of everything I couldn’t act or do any awareness in this issue. But I had some friends who I told them about it, they had a very bad reaction and even made me humiliated. But I tried to explain for them that I or any lesbian is not what you think. I always tried to behave like a homosexual, but the only result for me was depression.
*As an Iranian lesbian, how you explain the problems of this part of Iranian women’s society?
The government of Iran emphasizes the forbidding homosexuality by issuing severe sentences and punishments and also giving medical permission for sex-change to hide this issue in the society. In one sentence, we are always the denied identity. I have had [homosexual] friends who had faced misbehavior and discrimination such as being raped in custody, arrested in parties, deprived of education and work.

No comments:

Post a Comment