Tony Parga says the image of the Virgen de Guadalupe appeared in the trunk of a tree outside his home.
Tony Parga is convinced an apparition of the Virgen de Guadalupe dwells within the crevices of a mulberry tree in the backyard of his one-bedroom duplex in Central El Paso.
"I'm a great believer of the Virgen de Guadalupe, ever since I was a kid," Parga said. "I have her with me all the time."
Parga, 53, a garage door installer, was sitting outdoors on a bench playing with his dogs when he first noticed a reflection in the lower tree trunk almost two years ago.
"I don't know if it was meant for me or if it was there before I moved in (five years ago)," he said. "Maybe I just never paid attention to the tree."
Some people say they can clearly see the virgin's face, a crown, the hands clasped in prayer, and even
Reporter
Ramón Rentería
a rosary.
Parga collects images of the Virgen de Guadalupe. He has a dozen throughout the duplex.
He once paid tribute to the image in the tree trunk with an outdoor Mass and matachine dancers. A devoted Catholic, Parga also showed pictures of the image to a priest.
"They don't intend to come down here, but he told me that it was going to bring me a lot of peace," Parga said. "And it already has. There's been a lot of changes in my life. You just gotta have faith."
Parga said he doesn't mind sharing the image with others.
Justin Martinez, a neighbor, has shot pictures of the virgin's image with a cellphone.
"A lot of people don't believe, but you can see it," Martinez said. "I don't think it's ever