P4Z-0hy22ZRyqh5IUeLwjcY3L_M

P4Z-0hy22ZRyqh5IUeLwjcY3L_M

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Egypt Says 162 Killed in Migrant Boat Capsizing



CAIRO – At least 162 people died when a boat carrying hundreds of migrants capsized in the Mediterranean, the Egyptian Health Ministry said Friday.

Six of the travelers rescued alive following Wednesday’s accident remain hospitalized, the ministry said in a statement.

The boat was carrying between 400 and 600 migrants when it capsized after setting out from a point somewhere between Rashid and Baltim, in the province of Al Bahira.

The provincial governor, Mohamed Sultan, called for search operations to continue and for the legal process of returning victims’ bodies to families be sped up.

So far, 164 migrants have been rescued alive, among them 111 Egyptians, 26 Sudanese, 13 Eritreans, two Somalis, one Syrian and one Ethiopian, according to information released by the International Organization for Migration.

Health Ministry spokesman Khalid Mujahid told EFE that bodies recovered from the site are brought to the port of Bugas Rashi.

If identification documents are found on the body, the family is notified, while bodies without documents are taken to hospitals for identification, Mujahid said.

No comments:

Post a Comment